Thursday, July 5, 2007

To the left to the left....

Ok, so today is 1 week that I have been gluten free. Woot Woot Hooray!Happy dance. I went and saw Caylor today for acupuncture on my hand. I never get over the power of acupuncture. To give you the history: my hand was injured in November 1989 in a car accident. I spiral fractured my third metacarpal and later found out that I had a scapho-lunate dissociation. I went on in 1992 to have a BLATT procedure to help stabilize my pain and scapho-lunate dissociation. I went through therapy after this and had no problems until 2000 when I developed DeQuervain's tendinitis on my left. In November of 2000 I had surgery to release this. Typical recovery and I was ok. I had been told I was developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I lost my job the week after 9-11 and just dealt with my symptoms. So last October I fell on the stairs (klutz gene strikes again) and landed on my left hand. I developed pain and went on to getting severe pain to DeQuervain's recurring. I work with one of the top hand docs in the country so I went to him to see what could be done. Well after examining me he told e that when I had my DeQuervain's released back in 200 the doctor had cut the radial nerve and I had a neuroma, developed bone spurs in my wrist. Great!!! So I had an MRi which showed degenerative disease in my wrist fluid in the first compartment. Dr Ozer and I talked and he said he could do a radial styloidectomy to give the scapho-lunate where the bone spurs were more room. Re release the DeQuervain's, and excise the neuroma. We scheduled surgery for the beginning of February... (stay tuned)

No comments: